Monday 4 March 2013

Rape and Pregnancy - Feminism is NOT a Dirty Word

Well, it is past time for us ladies to strap on our boots and go to war. Again. Still. Possibly forever. You don't think so? Really? Have you seen what the 'rethuglicans' are trying to do in the US? Have you seen the misinformation and ignorance that they're trying to spread? Celeste Greig feels that she can inform the general public that women are incapable of becoming pregnant through rape, despite massive statistical and scientific evidence to the contrary. I guess she thinks women can change how their bodies work if they're 'traumatized' enough by the rape. So does that mean she thinks women who DO get pregnant as a result of rape actually enjoyed the occurrence? The truly horrifying thing is, she specifically states that she doesn't know what the statistics are, and so her statement is admittedly an assumption based on pre-conceived notions that have no basis in fact.

Sure, stress can influence a woman's reproductive capability...if the stress is long-term. The stress on the reproductive cycle changes hormonal levels and creates an environment that's not conducive to release, implantation or survival of the ovum. This takes time to occur, and does not happen in a single moment of stress. Anyone struggling with infertility can tell you all about it.

Let's look at the rape-pregnancy statistics then, shall we? In 1996 eighty-eight women were getting pregnant as a result of rape every single day in the US. This is based on a 3-year study at the time. You can check out the results for yourself here. Sure, the study is fairly old, but has rape stopped occurring? Nope. It has fallen by about 60%, but there is still an average of 207,754 sexual assaults per year, according to RAINN.org. This means there is an assault approximately every two minutes. Approximately 5% of rapes result in pregnancy, so if you do the math we're looking at about 28.5 pregnancies occurring daily as a direct result of rape.

So, do you not think the trauma that these women have suffered is bad enough? Should they be forced to carry the evidence of another person's crimes against them? Is it a sin to want to rid yourself of a pregnancy that is abhorrent to you, being the seed of a man who is obviously sick and unbalanced? Would you really want that genetic material to be carried forth into the world?

This brings up the whole nature versus nurture argument, but there really isn't any argument there. The fact is, we are a product of both. If we were merely a product of our environment, I would be a psychopathic killer. For the sake of brevity, we'll just say I didn't have it easy when I was growing up. There is, however, something in my genetic make-up that made all the difference in who I became. Something that made me feel responsible for my own actions, and something that gave me a sense of empathy toward fellow living creatures. It certainly wasn't something that came from my environment, I can tell you that much!

So, the unborn 'child' of a rapist should be allowed to flourish, despite the harm that it does to the person already living? By all means, let's sacrifice a person who is already sentient for a collection of cells that is completely unthinking and unfeeling at this point (that was sarcastic, in case you didn't pick up on that). There is no brain and there is no central nervous system, so I would like someone to explain to me - scientifically please - how it is that this lump of cells is actually in a position to feel anything or think anything at all.

Don't get me wrong. I do not believe in abortion as a form of birth control. I think we all make mistakes, particularly when we are young, but as adult females and males it is our responsibility to be sure we use birth control if we're going to have sex and don't want the consequences of pregnancy. Of course, if a person is too irresponsible to use birth control, I'm not sure I want them rearing children either, but that's another debate entirely with other possible solutions.

Pregnancy as a result of rape falls into a completely different category, however. Rape is never about choices (except on the part of the perpetrator), and a woman suffers so many consequences from that sort of attack that an unwanted pregnancy should never be one of them. The first line of defense should always be the morning-after pill. I don't even care what her own religious beliefs are at this point, because quite frankly she's most likely already in too much shock and trauma to make an informed decision. People don't always do what's best for themselves even under the best of circumstances. Rape is certainly far from the best circumstance. Still, choice is choice, so I would give the woman the choice if she doesn't want to take the pill, even if it goes against everything I think would be for the best. She doesn't need to be raped again by the medical establishment.

Second, abortion needs to be available. Many women do not report rapes right away. There is still such a stigma attached to being raped, and now there's the stigma attached to being a victim. Many women in this day and age hate the thought of being victimized, or looking like a victim in any way, so even though none of it is their fault they still feel as though they should have been able to prevent it or fight back. They experience guilt over what they were wearing, and feel like wimps because they couldn't defend themselves. Both are ridiculous, but so heavily ingrained in our societal make-up that they're almost inescapable.

If a rape isn't immediately reported, a woman isn't getting immediate medical attention. This means they're not getting the morning-after pill. So, they are at risk of being pregnant. So, ask yourself this: If a man forcibly and violently inserted his penis into you, would you want to bear his child? Do you think this man should be allowed to father children this way? If so, what about the men who want to dominate women by forcing them to become pregnant over and over? Is that right in your books, too? Those same men that keep 'their women' tied to home and hearth so that they have no other choices in life?

If you're a female and think all this is okay, I have one thing to say to you: You're an idiot! You're a masochist, too, but we'll leave that off the topic list for now. If you're female, and don't think we need feminism, I have the same thing to say to you: You're an idiot! Did you forget what feminism has done for the women of today? Did you forget that men used to OWN women? Did you forget that the only rights we have are those for which we are willing to fight - and are willing to KEEP fighting for? Have you forgotten how to use your own brain? Do you know what it's like to have someone tell you that you're not good enough the way you are, that you're not really a person because you happen to have a vagina rather than a penis? If you don't know, it's because a FEMINIST has done the dirty work for you.

If you're a male and think all this is okay, shut up. You don't know what you're talking about. You can't possibly know what you're talking about. If you're a man who has been raped, how would you feel if that rape resulted in pregnancy? You're not a seahorse, so it's not possible for you to carry children, but what if it were? Would you still think it's okay to carry around the child of a rapist? To have a permanent reminder of the most horrific event of your life? If you think that's okay, you're an idiot, too. Shut up and let the intelligent people speak.

I am sick to death of people treating the word 'feminism' like it's a dirty word, or something to be ashamed of. I am a feminist. I believe in true equality. I believe that means paying my own way, and being just as responsible for my life as any man. It doesn't mean I want to be surrounded by ultra-sensitive, cry-at-the-drop-of-a-hat pussies, either. It means I want to be with a man who's strong enough to handle a real woman. A strong woman. A man who isn't threatened when a woman opens her mouth. A man who isn't, deep down, terrified of women. Being a feminist does not change my sexual orientation. It just means I'll be damned if I let myself get stepped on...by anyone.

4 comments:

  1. Love it, Rain! I've struggled with this kind of thing, too, but for the word 'Liberal'. Where I live (in Texas) Liberal is a dirty word, and having a Liberal bumper-sticker on your car will get it keyed.

    That's why I love the Internet... and I put up this site: http://WhatALiberalLooksLike.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bruce. I think I went to that page of yours before, or at least I saw the picture.

      Yeah, I'm sick of pulling my punches when dealing with this kind of idiocy, especially when it's women who say they're not feminists. Really? They don't believe in equal rights? They think they belong in the kitchen, pregnant for the rest of their reproductive years? Idiots...lol.

      Delete
  2. Two years before my Mother passed away, she received a phone call from a woman, claiming to be the Daughter of my Mother's Aunt V. My Mother replied, "But Aunt V. didn't have any children." Turns out, Aunt V. was raped my her Vicar when she was young, and was later forced by her family to give up the resulting child, B. So my Mother got together with B. and B. gave her some photos of my Mother as a child that Aunt V. had kept until she passed away from natural causes. In retrospect, B. is happy that she summoned the courage to contact my Mother before she passed away. My Mother was diagnosed with terminal Cancer on Christmas Eve of 2005, and she passed away exactly one week after my 40th birthday. The last thing that she said to me was "Happy Birthday". She then slipped into a morphine-induced coma. I now converse with B. regularly on Facebook. She has the same endearing personality that my Mother had.
    As for all of the men who "get away" with rape, I firmly believe that they will be justly dealt with, on the Day of Judgement, pursuant to the 20th Chapter of the Book of Revelation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what to say. I feel badly for your aunt who had to go through all that trauma (made worse by the fact that it was a religious figure she would have trusted initially). I feel badly for your cousin who had to have grown up feeling abandoned and not knowing why - that it was for one of very few reasons I would consider legitimate, rather than simply because someone was irresponsible. It can't be easy for you cousin to know that she has that genetic material within her, no matter how endearing she is. Of course, with a lot of people it's a motivation to rise above their genetics.

      I'm sorry you had to lose both your aunt and your mother so early in life. You obviously loved her and miss her.

      Delete

Please keep your comments respectful, without strong profanity, or they will not be published. Thank you.