Friday 4 January 2013

Just Found Out I'm a Hipster!

Who'da thunkit? I'm a hipster when I didn't even know what the word meant. Wow! I must be special. You're probably wondering what the heck I'm blathering about. Well, as I'm sure you've guessed, I'll tell you!

Apparently it's hipsters who 'quit TV' and now those same hipsters 'quit Facebook' and somehow I'm a hipster because of these things. Admittedly I haven't entirely quit Facebook, but since I never go on it I'm not exactly a proponent.

I didn't really quit TV. I just stopped watching anything that didn't interest me. That turned out to be pretty much everything. Watching the news was like watching soap operas. It's the same story line turned over and over, swapping the characters. Nothing really changes, other than the names, which are often changed 'to protect the innocent' so even the name changes don't matter much.

Follow me so far? I hope so, because I think I lost myself back in one of those changes.

Well, I did quit Facebook for about a year, and when I went back to it I did it strictly for professional reasons using my pen name. Then it turned out that I was only friends on there with people I know personally, so it receded into the background of my professional life. I pop on every now and again to make sure that people I care about are still alive. I get the odd bit of news, but most of them don't use it very often themselves so not much is happening there.

I never wanted to sign up on Twitter, but I did it for professional reasons. I never wanted another Gmail account, but...you got it, professional reasons. I'm not sure how much these things are helping me out, however, so the professional reasons are dwindling rapidly.

It never takes long for me to get bored with something. Facebook bored me a couple of years ago, so I stopped using it. It was getting to where my whole day revolved around status updates that were ridiculous in the extreme, and those were just mine! Does anyone care that someone has recently showered and is off to bed (unless of course they're going off to bed with that person, but in that case the status update would be unnecessary as they would be right there seeing it happen)?

With Twitter I'm just managing to figure out the basics, and still don't understand all the 'reference this' stuff. It's like the Google+ stuff where you can reference others in your blog and they'll let them know you did it. What if I don't want them to know? What if I'm spewing and venting about them, and they're the last people on the face of the earth that I'd like to have reading my blog at that precise moment?

Actually, I can't see that last bit ever being an issue for me. If I don't want someone to read something, I don't write it, plain and simple. I assume, always, that everyone and anyone could be reading the things I say, so if I'm not willing to say something directly to a person, I'm not going to say it here.

It's an interesting day, indeed, when you find out you're cooler than you thought you were. Of course, the flip side is apparently being labelled an elitist snob. Uh, really? I think TV is dumb, and Facebook is boring, so I'm an elitist? For that matter...I'm a hipster? Give me a break. I'm neither of those things. I'm just a person who likes what they like, and doesn't like other stuff. Maybe not being afraid to admit that I don't like what's popular makes me a maverick of some sort to others, but to me it just means I'm a stubborn know-it-all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful, without strong profanity, or they will not be published. Thank you.