Friday 3 August 2012

Distractions These Days

For the past few days I've been distracted by personal issues in my life.  They're serious enough to sap creative strength, but not serious enough to cause real problems.  The question is, how does one learn to deal with those types of distractions, when they're really not a very good excuse for not getting any work done?  I haven't been doing any serious writing for a couple of days now, so I've been less and less inclined to do so.  That's the way my brain seems to work, anyway.  Inertia can be a good thing, but it can also be terrible.  When I'm in motion, I really move, but once I've stopped I'm like a cargo ship to get moving again.

I suppose this is where having a blog can come in handy.  I don't have to write something specific, or really all that focused, but it gets me in the writing frame of mind again.  I've also found, lately, that I enjoy receiving writing assignments.  It gives me a topic to focus on, instead of having my brain scattered all over the place with the millions of ideas I seem to have overwhelming me.

Of course, one of my biggest problems in life has always been lack of focus.  There are simply too many things I want to do, and it's hard for me to just pick something and then do it, so that I can move on to the next.  I'm always hesitating, trying to figure out what would be the best thing to do first.  Hesitation isn't always a bad thing, since it keeps us from doing things impulsively that might be harmful to our lives in some way.  "He who hesitates is lost," is usually the more accurate of the two, however.  We end up putting things off until a decision is forced on us and we no longer have choices.  That doesn't have much to do with my writing, really, but it applies to almost every other area of my life.

I think the biggest thing that keeps me from changing the way I do things, is the fact that usually things work out just fine, and sometimes way better than they would have if I'd made my move right away.  Sometimes it doesn't, but it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the two beforehand when I'm really not omniscient.  I just pretend I am.  Hindsight is always useless, unless it's something we can use to prevent something happening in the future, but even then it's hit or miss.

Well, would you look at that?!  I've only been banging away on my keyboard for about ten minutes, and already I have a new idea jotted down for an article I want to write.  Time to go before I lose the will to do so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful, without strong profanity, or they will not be published. Thank you.